Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
I. Job Summary
This position is responsible for drafting and executing both external and internal communication plans and tactics. Cultivates external vendor and internal business and department head relationships. Responsible for establishing and fostering relationships with local media, as well as the development and management of external vendor relationships. Assists assigned internal partners with communication for targeted audiences. Under the direction of the VP Communications or Director, is accountable for the company’s communication tactics as it relates to all media as assigned responsibility - social media, earned media, product placement and integration and internal media development and ongoing cultivation. Provides assistance to lower level communications professionals on the corporate team and in the field.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned
- Drafts, coordinates and executes internal and external communication plans and message development.
- Advises company management on communications tactics.
- Engages and assists assigned internal partners (business and department heads) with targeted communications to both internal and external audiences.
- Cultivates the internal partner and external vendor relationships. Escalates unusual request to the VP or director level for approval.
- Responsible for assigned organization’s media responses and is proactive in media relations and tactics.
- Develops external company message positioning on assigned issues and branding, and recommends delivery and timing of company messages to target audiences.
- May serve as a media contact for certain news releases and incoming inquiries.
- Provides assistance to company personnel in preparing speeches, letters and articles which are to be made public.
- Provides less experienced communications professionals with guidance and assistance in developing content as well as defining the target audience and mode of communication.
- Responsible for a portion of the overall Communications budget and the effective administration of the assigned budget.
- May coordinate and assist in the administration and planning of large company events.
- May be responsible for creating and supporting internal communications regarding weather related disaster or crisis preparedness and aftermath.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
The highest level of supervisory skills required in this job is the management of managerial employees. This includes:
May be responsible for direct supervision of full-time communications employees.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- Required: Bachelor’s Degree, or equivalent experience, in Communication, Journalism or Public Relations and seven to ten years previous experience in a communications department or agency.
- Preferred: Master’s Degree, Communications or Public Policy or MBA with seven to ten years previous experience in a communications department or agency.
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
- Some knowledge of finance and accounting helpful.
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations maybe made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation, etc.) most of the work day;
- Required to exert physical effort in handling objects less than 30 pounds part of the work day;
- Required to be exposed to physical occupational risks (such as cuts, burns, exposure to toxic chemicals, etc.) rarely;
- Required to be exposed to physical environment which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements sometimes
- Normal setting for this job is an office setting, but could require travel to field locations
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
Please apply at: